Thursday 2 June 2011

Welcome to my blog - Number One

Hello there!

I'm Lucy, I have been teaching English for more than 12 years and I would like to share my experience with both students and teachers. 
The idea is to help students practice English outside the classroom, providing lots of fun and exciting ways to use English and to also provide teachers with useful resources.
Learning English is not as easy as it seems, it takes time and dedication, look at it as an investment if you like: the more time and energy you invest, the better your English will get! as the saying goes: practice makes perfect!
How many times have you tried to speak English in everyday situations and have had difficulties? You know exactly what you want to say in your own language, but the words just won't come in English, you panic and can't speak. 
The fun ideas I suggest in this blog are tried and tested ways of practicing English, helping students to communicate better in everyday situations and feel more confident about their English. Some of the ideas have been suggested by students themselves or other teachers who have found them to be successful and some are techniques or ideas that I have used myself to practice Spanish and French.


Number One

Join an international language group, it's a great way to practice your English for free while enjoying the company of other like minded people. You may also find a conversation exchange partner, you can exchange your language for English in an informal and relaxed way, I often meet my exchange partners for a coffee or a beer. The best place to look for them is on Facebook, try researching by inserting the name of your city and the word "language", such as: Bologna language
Here are just a few in Italy and around the world:


  • Tandem language learning: these groups meet often and the events are quite informal (I'm really satisfied with the group in Bologna, I joined last Sunday, I met with them on Monday, I found a Spanish exchange partner 2 days ago and I'm going away with them this weekend to Tuscany, to a spa bath and to see some beautiful waterfalls).
  • InterNations: they meet once a month and the events are normally formal (you can find them on Facebook or just Google them, you don't need to be invited, I invited myself by completing the registration process. I'm a base member and it's free. It's a good night out, especially if you like dressing smart).


Good luck and have fun, I will be back soon with more fun ways to practice your English!

1 comment:

  1. I speak Italian. is a bit 'more difficult if I have to learn English from a text written in English!

    ReplyDelete